Friday, January 23, 2015

My Tattoos

I may or may not have the "itch" again...the time in between each one seems to be getting shorter! So while I'm thinking tattoos anyway I thought I would write out the stories behind my current ones. 

My tattoos started in college. I was a sophomore at East Texas Baptist University. I always joked that that was where people went to become pastors or parents had sent their kids there to be straightened out. But I digress.... I had always wanted a tattoo, but that year of my life I didn't want to have anything to do with the Lord. I don't have a picture of that one. While the actual tattoo design doesn't have any meaning to me (no I don't regret it), the reminder of that time in my life drives who I am today. That was the first time in my life that the Lord's GRACE clicked with me. I had been a "good" girl all through high school. That year I knew I had done nothing to deserve it. I was not "good" by the Bible belt's standard. I had put my family through the ringer. I had caused a lot of grief and worry to my friends. And even still He loved me and poured out His mercy and grace. Simultaneously justified while a sinner. He did that through those surrounding me too. 

POWER. In 2012, I signed up to go to Zambia for a week of Camp Life put on by Family Legacy. (You can read about that story HERE) I knew it was something the Lord was calling me to, but it wasn't exactly easy leaving Jonathan and my 3 and 1 year old boys at home. 2 Timothy 1:7 became one of my favorite verses as I confessed my fear to Jesus:
"For God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness, but one of POWER, love and sound judgement." I wanted a permanent reminder for something I've struggled with all my life. That trip to Zambia got the ball rolling with our heart for the orphan. Which eventually led to us becoming the hands and feet of Jesus to the kids in front of us in Abilene.  



ARROWS. I have wanted a tattoo for each of my boys for a while. I just didn't know exactly what I wanted. In 2014 I decided on arrows because of Psalm 127:3-5:
"Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him. Like ARROWS in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them." 
I designed each arrow and took it to the tattoo artist. 



REFUGE. This one came about because of our journey with foster care. There is a lot you get bombarded with while fostering kids. Lots of people you answer to, lots of people telling you what to do, where to be. Visits with all the agencies involved, visits with the parents. It's overwhelming to live like you're in a fish bowl with everyone watching and evaluating. So I clung to Psalm 91:4:
"He will cover with His feathers, and under His wings you will find REFUGE."

Last summer I also wanted one more added, but hadn't settled on the design. I tend to take a while to design it, but once I have it finished it's hard for me to sit and wait! Delayed gratification is not my thing. It's actually the one I'm getting my "itch" for now. You'll have to stay tuned for that one, but the theme for it will be HOPE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment