Saturday, January 15, 2011

Boys Rooms

One of the big things that had to happen before Parker arrived was moving Luke to a big boy bed so Parker could have the crib. We talked up Luke's big boy bed a lot and he has done great! There's only been one time that Luke got out of bed a few times, but other than that he loves to climb up and snuggle under the covers!

I came across Psalm 127:3 a few months ago and wanted to make signs for each room.

"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children are a reward from Him."

I had quite a few hiccups with these signs (as many of my projects have)!
I started with Parker's.


I spray painted it blue then got out my stencils to paint on the letters. The paint kept bleeding outside the stencil and it frustrated me to no end. So I traced all the letters from the stencils and then hand painted all of them. That required a few coats and then I painted Modge Podge over it as a sealant.

Then I moved on to Luke's sign.


I spray painted it orange and decided, after how Parker's sign went, I would cut out the letters with my cricut and Modge Podge them on. However, after I cut out all of my letters, taped them on and started to paint on the Modge Podge, the letters started to bubble beyond repair. UGH! This just happened to be the night that my Mom and sister surprised me by coming to Abilene to help out with all of my projects!!! Just in the nick of time! We scraped off the letters that had bubbled, lightly sanded the rough areas and re-spray painted it for a fresh start. I then got smart and got vinyl for my cricut to cut the letters out. That way we could just stick the letters right on!

Mom attached the hooks and wire to both signs and hung them both for me. We were so productive!

I bought new shelves for Luke's room that could handle more weight and painted them lime green to match his big boy bedding.

I will eventually take down his baby pictures and put up vintage, wooden cars and trucks that are primary colors. I found some at Pottery Barn Kids that I loved but they're not available anymore. Not that I could justify spending $25 on each car.

more-views.html.jpg


I'm keeping my eyes open for a cheaper version or something I can paint that would resemble the originals.

Parker's shelves are the ones I used for Luke's room, I just spray painted them to match his sign. Another project for Parker's room was his name. I ran across the idea to cover the letters with yarn on this blog.

finished+letters+sm.jpg


I love how Parker's turned out but it was soooo much work!



So that's pretty much the boys rooms make overs. I feel so much better having Luke's room pulled together and the nursery ready for Parker's arrival! I also managed to recycle the sign I made for Luke's 1st birthday into a door sign for when Parker gets here!


Before:



After:



3 comments: