Monday, August 4, 2014

We're a family of seven. SEVEN. Part 2

For Part 1 click here

Jonathan got to the apartments and when the door was opened R ran past her mom straight to Jonathan so excited to see him. He hugged her then put her down and told her to say hi to her mom. He took a trash bag of dirty clothes for her then headed out. He had given mom an opportunity to spend more time with R over a meal at McDonalds and she turned him down. He got R home and the first thing out of her mouth when she walked inside was “Will you read me a Bible story?” 

I want to pause here and point out one of the many places the Lord had prepared a way for us during this week. Their mom had been sick a week before we found out she was using. There was one day when she couldn’t get the kids from daycare so she added me to the list of approved people to pick them up. I walked into the daycare that day and began the process of picking up the kids with no problem. Z was excited to see me and so was baby sister. I gathered their stuff then headed home. I left a message with CPS to let them know what was going on and that all the kids were safe at our home. 

Amanda brought our boys over and we observed what our crazy life was about to look like. All three kids were officially placed with us Thursday, July 24th, Z’s 2nd birthday. We had run to the store to grab some cupcakes and stuck a “2” candle on top. We sang to him and took a few pictures. What a birthday memory...

I have to be honest, I don’t want you to think we’re some sort of saints who just swept in to save all the babies. I stepped in to save the babies and then thought “well crap...now what??” I wanted them safe, but I didn’t necessarily want their “safe” to be back with me. I was angry with the Lord. I was especially upset with Him when I had to open the tub of little boy and baby clothes. The same clothes that our Round 2 boys had worn when they were with us were laying right on top. I yelled at God, “Really?!?! I wasn’t ready to open this tub yet!” I pulled out what I needed for Z and baby sister and started throwing the rest back in as hard as I could. 


Then that Friday we left for a week long trip that had been scheduled for months. We were a bit cramped...

It was so great to have the extra hands as we processed all of this. R opened up to my future brother in law, Dyllon. She told him, “God saved me by bringing me to Katy and J’s house. And I don’t have bad dreams anymore.” That was the Lord’s voice speaking to me through a 3-year old. That melted the anger and made me aware of the spiritual battle that we were in the middle of. So again we pray over these kids because their lives depend on it. Again we share the gospel and become the hands and feet of Christ. Again we have to fall at the foot of the throne to be filled every moment. 

He continues to give us more than we can handle. He throws things our way that are impossible for us to do in our own strength. We have to rely purely on Him or we’ll never make it. When we began this journey we signed up for ONE baby. We got TWO not babies (R and Z). Then after we had gotten comfortable with 4 kids we got four again but Little Mister had the most extreme adjustment I had ever seen, requiring much energy from both Jonathan and I, and an infant who needed to be fed every 3 hours. And now, because getting two familiar kids wouldn’t challenge us enough He added their baby sister for a total of SEVEN (maxing out our suburban!). 

We’re not sure what this is going to look like for us. We have an existing relationship with the bio mom which is strained now from broken trust and CPS being in the middle. It’s past R and Z’s year mark of their initial removal requiring an extension. It’s also baby sister’s initial removal so her timeline doesn’t necessarily line up with theirs. It’s a lot of paper work and being told what to do again. 

We don't know if mom will get them back or not. We don't know what visits look like yet. We don't know much of anything. BUT we continue to place our hope in Jesus because we’ll sink if we don’t. He is the Author and Perfecter. He knew this was all going to happen and He knows what is to come. And that right there is the biggest relief to a foster parent. 

Already so many people have stepped in and given us clothes and hair accessories, provided fun entertainment for them and set up meals for us. We are blown away by the outpouring of the body of Christ. It is truly humbling and amazing. Thank you all for your help, prayers and support as we start down this familiar road. 

3 comments:

  1. You both are doing such an amazing thing. I work in the social field and being a foster parent takes special individuals. You are both a blessing to those kids. I will pray for you all. The Magnificent Seven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this story of Jesus through y'all xo

    ReplyDelete