Friday, October 11, 2013

Our Life's About to get Crazy!

Our family is growing! After over a year of talking it over and praying we have decided to become foster parents.

just a little paperwork

You know when I was in high school I could see myself having a foster home and taking care of lots of kids. That kind of got pushed to the back when we had our boys. I was worried that if we ever decided to do that there was too much at chance. If you don't know me well I'm a bit of an OCD planner... The idea of taking a child in and loving them like one of my own kids and then have them return home crushed me. So I started worrying about the opposite. Would I not allow myself to go "all in" loving another child to prevent heartbreak? I actually remember having a conversation with Jonathan's sister after they had decided to become foster to adopt parents. I said one of the things you're apparently not supposed to say to someone in that situation..."Oh I could never do that!"

The Lord has a funny way of working things out when we say we'll "never" do something. You should also know that we had been discussing for over a year that we would start "trying" for another baby Fall 2013. Jonathan came to me one day and said, "I think we should consider foster to adopt instead of having a baby." What?! Did you not hear me say never?! I began to whine express my frustration about not having a baby of our own. I told him I would pray about it but the Lord was going to have to change my heart about being pregnant.

It didn't even take a week and I was over it. The Lord had changed my selfish heart and given me a heart for the babies that were in Abilene who needed a Mommy. Jonathan and I have become very convicted in our preparations that we aren't promised tomorrow with Luke or Parker. Just because they are our biological kids doesn't mean the Lord will give us another tomorrow with them. It's made us intentional about praying over our kids. Giving them over to the Lord because they aren't ours they're His. And He chose to bless US with the privilege of pointing them back to Jesus. That's changed our mindset with fostering to adopt. We are to be intentional with whoever comes into our house. It is our responsibility to share the love, grace and salvation of Jesus.

You know what I've learned in this whole process? I can't do it. Not in my own strength or flesh. Not even close. This will probably be the hardest thing we've ever done and I'm so grateful for it because it will constantly push us to the foot of the cross. I know we will probably have heartache but I know God is in control and we can rest in His sovereignty.

This has already been so stressful for me! So I like to plan...how do you plan for a child that you don't know the gender, age or size of?! Or when they're coming?! I think the Lord's preparing me for a long road of unknowns and un-plannable situations. I'm so excited about having a baby in our home and I'm so nervous! We were verified this afternoon. So we're in the system and just waiting for a phone call. On the way out of the office I told Jonathan that I have been nervous all day! He asked why and I just told him, "Our water is about to break. And it could be anytime!!!" He got a laugh out of that. 

But seriously, thank you to our friends and family who have shown so much support and encouragement in this. From paperwork, references and praying over our future children. This process would be impossible without a good support system and we thank the Lord for you! Stay tuned for more crazy!

1 comment:

  1. May the Creator bless you and your family as you embark on this new stage in life. It is exciting for you to experience the grace-giving side of adoption like God has done with us.

    ReplyDelete