Monday, August 27, 2012

Zambia (Part 4)

TUESDAY

We did rotations this morning - "snaps", blessing time, and coloring. 

My group of girls went to have "snaps" first. One of my Zambian partners was a hair dresser and she made sure all the girls had their hair fixed before we took the pictures. These are the pictures that will go on their sponsorship packets. 

Carol                                                Christine

Florence                                                 Lexina 

Lucy                                               Margaret 

Memory                                               Mercy 

Naomi                                                 Rose   

Then we moved on to blessing time. I loved this time with each of my girls. I had blessing times with Carol and Memory on Monday and was heart broken with what they shared about their home lives. On Tuesday I had my blessing time with Naomi and Mercy. More heartbreaking stories. I had held it together with the first three, but when I got to Mercy there was no holding back my tears. You can read more about my blessing time with Mercy and all of my girls HERE.

When I finished with Mercy (and had somewhat composed myself) we went to color. I saw my mom and her group of girls when we walked in. She could tell I had been crying and mouthed, "Pull it together!!" :) The girls LOVED to color! They would sit there in the middle of the dirty floor and color for hours if we let them. 


After they finished we had our lunch and then played some games while waiting for big session to start. Today we learned about the Breastplate of Righteousness and the Helmet of Salvation. Each piece protects a vital part of our body. They shared the gospel and explained that you can only put on the armor and keep it on if you have Jesus in your heart. During the skit an orphan received these pieces from the Lord. They had actual pieces of armor and the kids went crazy when they saw them! 

They played "Freedom" while I prayed over my girls. What an emotional song to pray over these girls. 

I cry freedom from the chains that bind your children
Freedom from the chains that bind our praises
Freedom from the lies of the enemy - Freedom

Freedom! Freedom! Freedom! Freedom!

I'm gonna praise a little longer than before
I'm gonna lift my hands higher than before
I'm gonna shout a little louder than before

Through You the blind will see
Through You the mute will sing
Through You the dead will rise 
Through You all hearts will praise
Through You the darkness flees
Through You my heart screams I AM FREE!!!
(listen HERE)
Man, even now I can't read these lyrics without tears in my eyes! Thank you Jesus for this FREEDOM! The hand motion when we sang FREEDOM was crossing our fists over our head and breaking them apart. What an incredible picture to see my girls do this knowing that Jesus can and will break the chains that are binding each one of them. 

We went over the Evangecube with them during our small group session so that they would be comfortable with sharing the gospel when we went into their community on Thursday. I had blessing times with Florence and Lexina to finish up our time for the day. 

We had Zambian pizza and "softies" (soft drinks) for dinner. It was great! They also had an auction after dinner to raise money for new school desks for the Tree of Life school. Some of the items included nalgenes, fleece jackets, chairs, and a case of Dr. Pepper which is hard to obtain in Zambia! The summer staff also volunteered to make one villas PBJ sandwiches for the rest of the week (8 sandwiches per person!). That one went for $800! :) And then of course the most famous item of the evening... a batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies. That one went for $4,500!! 

We headed back to our villa to make our PBJ sandwiches (since we didn't win that item in the auction!) and headed to bed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment